Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Old Immolator

I finally got around to finishing the final piece of my old SOB collection: the old style immolator.

The model itself is a little worse for wear, from where I've had to cut off searchlights, grab rails etc. that I had glued all over the thing as a 13 year old.  I stripped all the paint on the metal sections using Dettol (24 hours in undiluted Dettol removes paint like a charm).  On the plastic body I used greenstuff, primer and sandpaper to undo most of the damage.


Rather than stick to the rather boring black and white colour scheme, I elected to paint a few structures gold, so as to try and tie in with the Exorcist tank, and add some small red panels fore and aft.  Other than that, it was a pretty standard paint scheme.  

Unfortunately, the old rhinos are an ugly, primative beast, and the turret is out of proportion to the tank itself.  The sister in the top has a full gas mask/goggles setup, so the whole thing lacks character, compared to the exorcist (see below).



 In order to get the turret to hold together (it used to fall apart all the time) I used some araldite epoxy glue.  For some reason, I only have the heavy flamers for the turret, so I'll just have to proxy for meltas.


An airbrush and compressor are on the way as well.  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment