Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Back in April of this year, my friend Ben started to collect Space Wolves, and in a fit of nostalgia, I suddenly had to go find my old Sisters of Battle who had been sitting in a box, forgotten for 13 years.  I hadn't touched anything Warhammer 40k (or any GW/tabletop game) since my Sisters had been stashed away, and had completely forgotten how incredibly fun 40k is.

My expectations of what I would find, as I uncovered my old miniatures, were not high.  I felt that my painting as a 13 year old had been fairly decent, but one glance at the Canoness, Battle Sisters, Seraphim, and Immolator soon corrected that misconception.

I had painted my orignal army as the Order of the Ebon Chalice, purely based on how good the white and red robes looked against black power armor.  This was something that my childhood self had got correct.  After studying several painting guides, youtube videos and paitning blogs I went into Wellington to splurge on some paints, and found to my delight, that GW had just brought out the new range of paints.  My next stop was the supermarket, to buy some Dettol, nail polish remover and some toothbrushes.

After stripping the models down, regluing and undercoating, I started the repaint.

Since then I have brought my points total up 1500, played a few games, and have got myself well hooked on 40k, Sisters of Battle and miniature painting.
My army, as of June

My first model of the repaint - not fancy, but not entirely crap either.

A couple more from early on.  A suggestion from the guy at the GW shop was to use Tau Light Ochre to highlight the edges of the red, especially the guns - you can see this on the flamer.

A view of the back, showing my difficulties with white robes before I started using Celestra Grey, Ulthuan Grey and White Scar to do the shadows and highlights

The original squad repainted.  Of course the new codex calls for 10 models per squad.

The canoness.  Not nearly as crazy looking as the later model with flames and stuff.  Also I prefer to use Celestine and Uriah Jacobus as my HQ choices, so she makes a pretty Sister Superior proxy.  I'm quite a fan of how the highlighting on her face worked out.  I'll get round to shading the armor a bit more - perhaps when I spruce up the base a little bit.

Saint Celestine.  First attempt at gold armor.  used a Leadbelcher base, Seraphim Sepia shading and glazes made up of red, brown and yellow.  Highlights were donw with Gehanna's Gold and Ironbreaker.  I also stuck her on a bigger base, as she tips over too much on the little base.

The cloak was daunting, but came up ok using various shades of red.

My Exorcist tank, which absorbed many hours.

Same again, but you can see where I tried to add a bit of verdigris to the organ.

My first of three penitent engines.  Yes, I stupidly painted the flame incorrectly.


That was my efforts between April and June, photographed on my phone.  I'll get round to posting some photos of the new stuff, using the D3100.

No comments:

Post a Comment